Monday, August 21, 2006

The "Decider" Ring

The "Shopping Decider" ring. I went to my Metalwerx jewelry camp with this design in my drawing book. When our instructor Sarah asked if we had anything in our hearts or minds we were dying to make I opened my notebook to the Shopping Decider ring. I didn't think there was any way to make this ring in the precious little class time - but here it is. I'm pleased with this version, but I'm already conceiving of the "next best version". Stay tuned.

The night before I was going to start working on the ring I worked up a paper prototype so my concept was clear to me and to Sarah who was going to guide me through the process.

My revised design for the spinning disk. Pasted up by hand, copied onto acetate and then put through a photo-acid process. Yup, they let me use acid (all fingers still accounted for.)

The copper disk fresh from the acid bath. I cut it out by hand and soldered a sterling silver ball to use as a lever for spinning the disk.

The top of the Shopping Decider ring. Sarah made the arrow and it spins (which is different than my original concept of a spinning disk) but I totally and completely love it. I can't wait to make the next one!

No comments: