Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11th

“Lori, it’s Sharon – are you watching the news?”

I was on vacation. Those words coming at me from my cel phone while I waited in line to purchase office supplies in Medford chilled me to the bone. My first thought was something stupid had happened at work. Something that I would have had to clean up after, something that would annoy me.

Sharon informed me that a plane had hit the World Trade Center, and like many people receiving the news that day I assumed it was a wayward small plane - she clarified that immediately.

I departed the store and on my way to my car I called Tom who was out for a ride on his bike. All I said to him was "please go home now". I assured him it wasn't his mother, though Celia was in the hospital at the time - I just asked him to go home.

He managed to beat me to the house and already had the television on and the look of sadness and horror on his face was devastating. I had been listening to the news on NPR and it was still early - no one knew how many planes were missing. The fear and the chaos and the lack of any real knowledge about the situation seem to linger to this day.

I don't think he knows how much it meant to me that he was home with me that day. We watched Aaron Brown on CNN all day and night. We tried to call all of our New York friends all day, we finally found everyone was safe. We cried. I still cry.

Peace to everyone, everywhere. Especially today.

-

No comments: