Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Pie in the Sky

Peeps! It's time once again for Pie In The Sky. What is Pie In The Sky you ask? You know I'm totally going to tell you!

The Annual Pie In The Sky event is the largest fundraising event for the amazing and wonderful organization called
Community Servings. Their mission directly from their site:

Community Servings is dedicated to providing free home-delivered meals throughout eastern Massachusetts to people homebound with HIV/AIDS and other acute life-threatening illnesses, who are unable to shop or cook for themselves. We provide our clients, their dependent families, and caregivers appealing, nutritious meals, reaching out to those in greatest need. Our goals are to help our clients maintain their health and dignity, provide nutritionally and culturally appropriate meals, preserve the integrity of their family, and send the message that someone cares.

My dear friend and former neighbor Brad Stevens is the Executive Chef of Community Servings. He is a seriously accomplished man and a fabulous chef. I miss not living next door to him as no one walks in my back door with a spoon saying "taste this" anymore. Brad hooked me up with a team of terrific ladies that he works with and together we did the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer this past May. Through a grant from the Avon Foundation, Community Servings was able to extend their services to people with breast cancer (both men and women) and their dependant families.

Pie In The Sky gets every major restaurant, bakery and hotel to bake up the gems of the season. You might get a pie from the Four Seasons Hotel or the Flour Bakery or any one of hundred other delicious places. The pies are always terrific. You get to show up at Thanksgiving feeling all fabulous for actually bringing something and at the same time donating to a worthwhile cause. That is something to be thankful for!

Why am I telling you all this? Well, I am selling pies for Community Servings. My goal is to sell 100 pies for my friend Brad. If you are in eastern Massachusetts there are dozens of
pick up locations - but I would love it if you bought a pie or three or 20 (like my favorite co-worker Rob W. did last year!) from me. You can purchase the pies on line and choose my name from the pie seller list HERE . If you don't live in Eastern Mass. and you are feeling the need to give to a totally worthwhile, grassroots, no-nonsense group - you can "purchase a pie for a community servings client" and a pie will be delivered to someone in need, and funds will be raised to provide nutritious and delicious meals for all.

I attended the sales kickoff event at Vinalia Restaurant in Boston with my co-workers Heather (congrats on your recent promotion) and Katie (a dynamo.) Note to husband: I am not drunk - the stupid timer on the camera was acting weird and took me by surprise. Although Heather and Katie look fantastic.



No comments: