Thursday, November 23, 2006

The Pie Blog - Pecan Pie for Thanksgiving

10:15am

Martha's Pâte Brisée Crust recipe has been prepared (I fear I over-pulsed it in the food processor, but we'll see) and has been flattened into a disk and placed in the refrigerator for at least an hour. The recipe makes 2 crusts, but I'm only making one pie - as any good WW member can tell you, if you make it, you will eat it. I'll put the other dough disk in the freezer for a future "pie emergency." Pecans have been chopped and all other ingredients gathered for the pie filling. I am using bourbon instead of vanilla for my pie as beloved husband made a request (and I am thankful for him, so I will swap an ingredient.)

12:00 Noon

The dough has chilled for nearly 2 hours, so I'm rolling it out using my new French rolling pin that I got at the Utilities store in Provincetown this summer. I love, love, love that store. It's got amazingly beautiful things - but it's all useful. I'm thrilled they are online.

I'm using Mrs. Magno's pastry board (my late mother-in-law) and thinking of her on this day when people are gathering with their families to make everyone's favorite things. Celia was a tremendous cook and baker with a bold culinary streak. I miss her and Tommy's late father Harry very much.

While I'm rolling the dough I'm listening to Arlo Guthrie talk about his Thanksgiving classic Alices's Restaurant on Boston's folk station WUMB. It was a more recent version of that famous song, with some updates from Arlo that were funny and historic.

12:45pm

The Pie is finally ready for the oven. 350˚for 50+ minutes ("until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean") and we'll know if the pie is worthy of the family table. It's going to get eaten no matter what...


1:15pm

Progress photo. No spillage! (That means no smoking! Even better - no smoke alarm!! Even better than that no cats freaking out, in turn freaking out beloved husband!!!) It's Thanksgiving, just pretend the oven is clean. Thank you.


1:45pm

YAY!! YAY!! Golden brown crust that seems flaky. No burnt pecans on top. Cake tester came out clean. Pie now cooling on the stove until we visit the rest of the family gathering at Peter and Cindy's house around the corner. Taste test scores and descriptions later tonight.

10:00pm

Thanksgiving dinner was lovely. Cindy knows how to make a turkey - tender, moist, flavorful. All of the dishes you would expect, and a mushroom soup starter that was amazing. Sister Andrea brought the famous family pecan rolls - spectacularly good this year. Pumpkin pie, custard pie, apple pie, a pumpkin creme pie in a graham crust and my pecan pie made up the dessert buffet. Yum. The Pecan Pie was very well received, and I think it tasted great. I am slipping into a food coma as beloved husband and I watch Robert Altman's film McCabe & Mrs. Miller. Hope your Thanksgiving was a fine one.

No comments: