Sunday, February 04, 2007

Live Blogging the Stupidbowl Commercials

My condolences to the Chicago Bears fans. That was a shame. My thoughts on the overhyped stupidbowl commercial extravangaza. Opinions in chronological order from end to beginning. If I didn't mention something, it was either too damn boring to mention or it didn't make me laugh. I'll update links to some of the spots tomorrow. The overall winners, eTrade "Bank Robbery" and Careerbuilders.com "Darts/Training Seminar." Honorable mention for the Oprah/Letterman CBS promo.
.
Go Daddy - twice? Not funny even once.
.
eTrade "One Finger" - missed the mark.
.
IZOD commercial - just okay. Partial credit for balls to run it during the stupidbowl. Budweiser "Jay-Z/Don Shula" - was well done. I don't drink beer, but I wasn't repulsed by the ad. I'm starting to feel bad for Chicago right about now. 9:55 left.
.
Budweiser "Crabs" - nice execution, but little else. What's with all the animation? I didn't see anything new in the world of animation - that's not to say the level of animation wasn't gorgeous, it was - but what else is it doing to sell the product?
.
FedEx Ground "Don't Judge/Mr. Turkeyneck" - nope, not even a little funny. FederlineEx "Nationwide", only funny once and I already saw it. Budlight "He's Got an Axe" was amusing. He's got a chainsaw indeed.
.
Emerald Nuts' "Robert Goulet" - guffaw from me, "That's funny" from Tommy who also said "I kind of feel bad for Robert Goulet." I responded with "He seemed to be having a good time." Tom wants to know if anyone under 40 in my office knows who Robert Goulet is. I'll do an informal survey tomorrow.

POLL RESULTS: In a random poll of 30 surveyed this morning of co-workers between 20-40: only 10% "knew" who Robert Goulet is, 20% "kind of know" who Robert Goulet is and 70% said "who?" Ouch. They do have spectacular commercial recall as they all knew I was referring to the "nuts" commercial.
.
Tommy and I disagree over Revlon's Sheryl Crow "Not Fade Away" commercial. To quote my husband: "The concept that a rock and roll star has a colorist on tour with them is lame. You used to have a guy go out and score drugs - not a colorist." I have no such issue with having a colorist on staff - I wish we had one at the office. 6:38 left in the third quarter.
.
The eTrade "Bank Robbery" commercial - OUTSTANDING! The Coca-Cola "Behind the Coke Machine/Happiness Factory" commercial gets major props for clever animation. Very nice.
.
I liked the Coca Cola "History" spot - but was disappointed that it didn't link out to a microsite to learn more about black history - without it, it's just using black history month for ad purposes.
.
Halftime review: Prince totally wins the award for best use of a marching band. Was happy to see his sassy dancer girls didn't fall off that rainy, wet stage. What was with the Aunt Jemima head scarf? All Along the Watchtower - really? Have the Jehovah's Witnesses gotten to him that hard?
.
So far only the Oprah/Letterman promo spot and Careerbuilder.com "Darts (aka Training Seminar)" - loved the security dude "sign out please"... Careerbuilder also has all of the commercials on their site. No other commercials have caused me to stop cooking, eating or writing. And right now there is only 3:57 left in the second quarter. Hope second half rocks.
.

3 comments:

Matt said...

yeah i loved the Coke ones and Medcia one for Bud.

archeress said...

agree 100% with your take. prince's do-rag was hilarious with the little uptie. but wasn't he great? that black strip on the stage must have been solid rubber or the girls would have gone down on their asses i would think. i barely remember robert goulet, and i'm sure none of my students would. that was the weirdest.

James-H said...

agree totally with colorist on tour=lame.

W.T.Fuck.

If it had been some kind of Christopher Guest spoof, I would have found it hilarious though.

Personal Colorist. That's funny.