Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Buy Me That - Fall Edition

Nordstrom.com has a women's shoe page featuring 605 styles. Each style has its own page with multiple views of the shoe, and in some cases - other colors. You could spend hours just on the shoe page. As fall approaches, I'm in mental back-to-school mode. I want new notebooks, I want good pens, I want new shoes. So I spent a little time looking at shoes today.

What did I find you ask? I find that some shoes are such items of beauty that it makes you want to tape a photo on the refrigerator. Other shoes are so, I'm not sure of the right word - abhorrent? Nauseating? Spine-chillingly ugly? that it makes me want to poke my eyes out. In any case, I've put a few of my faves in the "buy me that" and OMG categories below.

**BTW tomorrow, Wednesday, August 15th is the last day to call for tickets to the Nordstrom Grand Opening Gala to benefit the Museum of Fine Arts and the Boston Ballet. $150 for dinner, drinks, dessert, runway fashion shows, super-fabulous shopping - and complimentary valet parking. What are you waiting for? Call 617-369-3851 for tickets or more information.

Façonnable "Josie" - I want this shoe, and then I want to go dancing. A lot.


Linea Paolo "Godiva" - Call me Emma Peal, but I love this shoe.
Nordstrom "Myriam" - I am powerless against the kitten heel. This shoe with gray woolen trousers? OMG.


Söfft "Gabriella" - This shoe with gray woolen trousers? DOUBLE OMG.


Circa Joan & David "Alexia 2"
- I'm seeing this with a swingy little pleated just-past-the-knee skirt. Maybe a plaid that lightly grates against the shoe for a little for fun.



Claudia Ciuiti "Ella" - I haven't had an occasion for gold heels, but if I did, these would be the gold heels for me.

Enzo Angiolini "Maylie" - possibly the most perfect black shoe of the season.

Just to prove I'm not your average Imelda-style shoe fetishist, I present things that make me hurt inside.

Linea Paolo "Bennie" - What? Why? It's metallic, and quilted and clunky. How can this be the same company that made the Godiva shoe?


Munro "Whitney" - I understand offering shoes for all ages and abilities, but this is unacceptably clunky. I cannot accept this draft. Try again.


Chie Mihara "Oda" - Odious.


Farylrobin "Kage" - Because like Tobias Fünke's ongoing Blue Man Group audition, you have your sights set on Riverdance.


Frye "Adrienne" - Hello? Frye darlings, it's 2007, not 1977. Start over.


L.A.M.B. "Kraemer" - Gwen Stefani, no girl. I am not hollering back, I am hollering at. THIS IS VILE. Try again, without the Cobra-style cloak.

Irregular Choice "Snappy" - As an object I find it almost equal parts amusing/repellent - but this will not make anyone's legs look long and lean. What is the point of shoes then if not that?

8 comments:

James-H said...

These shoes are three hundred fucking dollars. LET'S GET 'EM!

Moda di Magno said...

James is referring to the beloved "Shoes by Kelly" available on YouTube here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=3HjIljJd-o0

Not for the faint of heart. These shoes rule.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog, but I think you're wrong about that Farylrobin shoe. It's totally hot. I saw it featured in the new issue of Lucky this month.

Moda di Magno said...

Thanks for the compliment anonymous. I love shoes. I sold shoes years ago and I have nothing but empathy for those who aren't on the buying end, but must handle the customers on the retail end. "No really, I'm a size six..." but my fear with the Kage shoe can be illustrated by the fug girls at this post: http://tinyurl.com/32pbb2

Toe slippage. I guarantee that there will be stray pinky toes trying to escape the sides here. Or that some poor dear girl will pair these shoes with a delicate mini something never giving proportion a second thought.

Perhaps this shoe would work with a fabulous pair of jeans, but if I know the shoe-buying public, ladies are already justifying wearing these with knee-socks and a chiffon tea-length gown.

Perhaps a stern warning tag could be issued?

PS - Lucky has a pretty good "awesome" rate with me - but if I know Andrea Linnett's taste - she'll pair these with a thousand dollar brown burlap caftan accessorized with a vintage dinner-plate sized silver and turquoise eagle belt.

Holly Schwendiman said...

And we all know a woman can't have too many shoes! LOL I wish I could understand what draws me to them but from the time I was a wee girl I've been in love with high heeled shoes. Thanks so much for dropping by corner!

Hugs,
Holly

Make the logo bigger said...

If I could get the Myriams in a 16, people would talk.

James-H said...

I'd almost pay 300 to see Bill in a pair of size sixteen pumps. Granted, I wouldn't really be able to look at him at all.

Moda di Magno said...

James & Bill - I'd pay to have size 16 pumps Myriams for Bill!

Thanks for stopping by Holly!