Wednesday, April 16, 2008

You Have Got to be Kidding Me

So while I was working from home yesterday I placed a call to the Verizon Fios service line. For some random reason the volume on the television in the living room vanished. It was working the night before. You could hear some sound if the volume was at 100% - never a good idea in case the volume repairs itself and sends a cat through the roof. So I reset the cable box, powered off, powered on and all of the diagnostic stuff it suggests on the website. Still nothing. So I called the service line and got the talking bot girl.

The talking bot girl has a pleasant tone, doesn't repeat your statements with that crazy "I think you said xylophone" repeat function, and she responded to my voice commands quickly. Talking bot girl did reset the cable box and after she reset the box asked if the problem was resolved. But she didn't really ask because she went on to pronounce if I was still experiencing difficulty to call back in ten minutes and that she would immediately connect me with service person. So I blurted "You have got to be kidding me" into the phone and talking bot girl said "I'll transfer you now."

I was still laughing when a young man named Doug came on the line and walked me through the fix in two steps. I told him how I happened to be transferred to him and he chuckled "Yeah, they have a few bugs to work out in the system." I don't think so - I like a talking bot girl who knows how to respond to YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME.

2 comments:

Social Networking Designer said...

LOL! I really had a laugh reading this post!

George said...

ROTFL! That's very funny. I think that we will see a lot more of this type of phone responses as companies try (and fail) to implement voice response customer service systems. Also, don't miss this blog post: Verizon FiOS Lax On Consumers' Data Security.