Monday, November 17, 2008

Winter Approaches

Inspired by Alex Guarnaschelli's recipe for Potato & Brussel Sprouts Gratin in New York Magazine I put together Potato, Brussel Sprouts & Mushroom (kind of) gratin. I didn't have several of the ingredients in Alex's recipe, so I vamped with ingredients I had on hand. 

Tom roasted brussel sprouts, mushrooms and garlic the other night, so tonight I made some mashed russet potatoes (a little butter, a little milk, salt & pepper) and added some Parmeseano Regiano to the potatoes, added the sprouts and 'shrooms, sprinkled a little bit of shredded mozzarella on top, added a tiny spot of butter on top and baked at 375 for 15 minutes until the tops were golden brown. I did not butter the ramekins, I figured anything that got stuck would still be delicious when licked off.

Rating: Thank God I made 4 of them - totally delicious on this cold, pre-winter night. And I'm not sure I really love brussel sprouts unless Tom roasts them with garlic and cuts them into just the right-size pieces. That's not weird at all - right?

2 comments:

Maud Bianca said...

A. I want some.
B. I love that you made 4.
C. There is nothing wierd about how your hubby has to prepare the brussel sprouts just so in order for you to consume them
D. I heart you.

Moda di Magno said...

Maud:

I actually made 5 - the fifth being the oversized ceramic dish that is like a triple shot of those pictured. Not embarrassed at all. Why do you ask?