Saturday, March 06, 2010

Session Americana: March 5, 2010

 Session Americana took the stage again on Friday night at Lizard Lounge in Cambridge. Took it and owned it as they kick off their tour. The place was packed (fortunately with music lovers who wanted to listen to the music) and while we stood in a great spot for the first set, we sat in the front row for the second (thanks Miranda!) It was another gorgeous night of music with special guests Rose Polenzani, Buffalo Tom's Bill Janovitz, Will Daily and Asa Brebner.

I've tried to synthesize what it is about this music/band/setting that makes me so happy.  So here it is, wonky, inartful and groupie-ish as it may be.

1. Down home, handmade, sitting around the fire drinking and laughing music.  The only thing I have to compare what I witnessed at Lizard Lounge is my comedy days when the comics would stand out back of the Comedy Store and dissect our set, each others' sets, particular jokes, riff on jokes that worked, kind of worked or were GOING to work, dammit. It's a connection between people who love a thing in different ways but bring it together and make it even better.

2. Variety. The musical variety just makes me swoon - from real Red River country fried steak to the Beastie Boys to The Band, their amazing original music and beyond, Session Americana covers the waterfront. If you can't find something to like then I'm very sorry for your ears.

3. The 'Whatever-May-Come' factor. Will drunk people show up and demand songs (and put booze and glasses on the table for the band?) Will special guest musicians be available when their name is called? Will the Pleasure Society do their job and entertain all? Only the shadow knows, but the vagaries of live shows don't seem to throw these guys at all.

4. Community sing. Yeah, I said it. Peeps like to sing along - and outside of church where do you really get to belt it out? Listening to Jon Bistline sing 'I Can't Get Out' with 90+ people singing backup was pretty sweet.

So blah blah blah I think they are wonderful and I feel good having heard such special music two nights in a row all I can do is recommend you check out Session Americana.

Here are a few snaps from the show - all my pix from this show are HERE.


I love it when Dinty Child plays the squeeze box. 



Will Daily sitting in.




Jim Fitting ponders and sings.




Billy Beard back for an encore.



No comments: