Sunday, November 21, 2010

Session Americana : Lizard Lounge 11/18/10

Oh joy, oh holiday craft season happiness - Session Americana is back in Boston to save my soul.  You may remember last year when I was nigh unto a breakdown because my beloved husband took me out to music in the middle of craftmania. I wrote about being forced to stop and how it may have saved me (and 2009!) 

It's always a treat to attend a Session Americana show - and attend we did several times this year, but I really enjoy seeing them at Lizard Lounge in Cambridge. Intimate (perhaps too intimate) obstructed views (natch!) and the occasional college crew who is there to talk(?) but it's a no-bullshit place, they don't care about cameras or dancers (or even spinners) and everybody sings along (for better or worse.)

I may be a little too old to go out to music that STARTS at 10pm - but hey, I made it all the way to 1am and still had a productive (if cranky) day at work.

I'm super psyched that the band will take the residency role this month at Lizard - every Tuesday night will be Session Americana night. Will I make it every Tuesday? I doubt it, the orders are piling up already - but I'll get there at least once (twice if I can convince Tom to drive!)

Oh! And they've been nominated for a Boston Music Award (AMERICANA ARTIST OF THE YEAR) - please go vote for them (and give Amanda Palmer some love while you are at it!)


The boys in the band get down for a full house. Ry Kavanaugh is trying to outdo Jon Bistline's hair. That was weird.


The lovely and talented Jefferson Hamer sat in for the vacationing (?) Sean Staples. He was a great choice - beautiful playing and a voice that was (dare I say it) reminiscent of early (tolerable) Neil Young (sweet with an edge.)  He's hosting a record (actual VINYL) release party on December 15th at Rockwood Music Hall in NYC. Get there for some awesome.


Just sayin' photo: They boys at Lizard know how to make a drink. Thanks boys.

No comments: